The 2020-2021 academic year has been filled with many challenges for students; the additional experiences of loss, isolation and disconnection have exacerbated the everyday challenges many face. As we plan our year end projects, what if students had an opportunity to tell their story or speak out on an issue that they care about? And what if students could feel heard?
Follow us on our blog and Twitter feed as we share a series of short videos and resources on Facing History and Ourselves’ approach to fostering courageous classrooms, empathy and civic agency. Discover High Resolves’ Videos for Change program and the suite of resources that will equip students with practical tools to speak and be heard.
Then, join Facing History and Ourselves, and High Resolves on April 27th for an interactive online “un-workshop'' where we do some backwards planning together.
In this session, we will explore the ease, accessibility and power of short format filmmaking to empower students. We will model ways to facilitate student engagement in critical analysis of contemporary social issues. We will work collaboratively to develop a culminating project or assessment, and rubric criteria to assess student learning. Participants will also learn how and when students can access ongoing mentorship support provided.
The goals of this “un-workshop” are:
- To support social science, humanities and media arts educators in empowering student voice and connection
- To provide flexible, asynchronous (self-paced) professional learning and curricular support for educators on:
- Tools and resources to foster intentional and empowering classroom environments for students to discuss challenging social, emotional and academic topics
- Facing History and Ourselves’ framework for developing deeper understanding around contemporary issues
- Videos for Change resources and tools that can be used to engage students as critical thinkers, change makers and active citizens in shaping contemporary dialogue on issues that matter to them.
- To provide timely additional synchronous collaboration and co-planning space for crafting a year-end student culminating project or assessment to invite student choice, meaningful learning and empower student voice using High Resolves’ Videos for Change tools and program.
To learn more about Videos for Change, read this blog post.
This workshop is directed towards grades 10, 11, and 12 educators in Canada. This workshop will be held via Zoom. Details for joining the Zoom meeting will be shared by email prior to the event.