Conversations that arise in response to the Capitol Insurrection of January 6, 2021 will present teachable moments to help students activate the mind, heart, and conscience.
For this to happen, educators have an essential role to play in creating classrooms where students are able to put their critical-thinking skills to work analyzing factual, accurate news reporting and engage with each other in reflective conversations on topics that matter. The resources below provide strategies, tips, and content to help you:
- Organize your classroom as a brave and safe space
- Prepare your students for difficult conversations
- Provide context about the conditions that led to this insurrection and the political climate in which it happened
- Open up discussions about the historic context and potential future impacts of these events
- Invite your students to think about their own civic choices as participants in democracy